The Virtual Slam as a Circle

I added a “cost” code in one of my recent coding sessions and it continues to be relevant. As I go back and code fieldnotes from online slams during COVID I am reminded that some of them went to “pay what you can” tickets – making attendance more accessible.  

Just realizing that peering into all the faces during an online slam is sort of like storytelling in a circle. Perhaps something the medium of video conference storytelling retrieves... 



Muting the audience during video conference – reducing audience noise instead of amplifying the performer (like with a microphone in a live performance).  

I’ve been keeping track of which stories I tell where to try and avoid repeating a story at the same show. I also take into account different shows in the same city. I discovered that I didn’t have some of the stories I told virtually during COVID on my spreadsheet! I think I started the spreadsheet during COVID and I did go back and add info on some performances, but clearly missed others. I guess this says something about me as a performer who goes to multiple open mic shows, and perhaps also about the nature of competition. I feel that repeating a story would be worse at a competitive event.  

Comments

Popular Posts