Politics

The fact that Manuel’s is a space with certain political leanings has come up repeatedly in interviews, but the general feeling seems to be that conservatives feel as welcome at Carapace as liberals. I question this view. For one thing, I have been having a bit of a challenge finding a conservative person to interview (suggestions welcome). Also, I’ve noticed that storytellers feel very free to express liberal viewpoints and that the audience reacts positively to these views. I recognize that I hear the laughter and applause, but it can be harder to notice those who remain silent, so there may be a few conservatives who don’t appreciate the liberal jokes. However, based on the attitudes of the tellers and the reaction of most of the audience, I’m guessing not many.

An example of a liberal joke from the July Carapace. These are from my notes on (my mom) Denise’s story.

On the beach she overheard a German woman say “American men are terrible lovers.” She said that people today might call that “locker room talk” referencing Trump’s incriminating recording. The audience applauded.

Comments

Popular Posts