Comedy in tragedy

I’m trying to categorize stories. I’ve had a category based on very early interviews for stories in which the message is “I found beauty in tragedy.” This has been a fruitful category and one in which I can place many stories that are told at Carapace (certainly not all, I have several categories so far). I initially was putting stories that had humorous endings in that category, thinking comedy is a type of beauty. As I’ve found more tragic but funny stories, I’ve decided to split out another category “I found comedy in tragedy.” I still think the two are related, but I also think it may be important to distinguish between the funny stories and those in which the beauty doesn’t come from humor. Humor can be a defense mechanism and create a distance from the tragedy of the story. The beautiful stories, on the other hand, seem to come through the tragedy more fully.

Comments

Popular Posts