Meta performance

Shannon got at a key aspect of performing reality when she said:
I think everybody has a persona
and yet,
it's like a
hyperbolic version of themselves.
We all have a stage persona version of ourselves.

This is one area where I ran into a little trouble in my lit review and when I had to go back and further unpack “performance” for my proposal I did some serious questioning of my life choices. So, people perform their identities all the time and in ways appropriate to the social situation in which they find themselves (social performance). What happens at Carapace is a meta performance. It’s people performing (on a “stage”) how they perform themselves (socially). Sort of. They aren’t really acting out a scenario from their lives, they are telling about it. But even so, there is some meta performance going on.

Comments

Popular Posts