Meeting different people

Lance talked about people from very different walks of life meeting each other at Carapace and becoming friends:
The fairly hard core right winger,
is sitting right next to
the newly christened hippie
vegan.
And even better they're getting along
like that was the best thing about it.
Is even better. They all like each other.
You started to see these friendships form;
you started seeing these relationships form
afterward.
Tom said part of what he likes about Carapace is the ability to be around people who are outside of his profession:
I guess Carapace in a way
allows me to drop into
ah, somewhat into academe,
but certainly into the milieu of liberal arts majors.
And while I’m an engineer,
my life has been very much engineering,
my close friends,
having been in technical theater,
and in college peripherally,
where my close friends were actors.
And it’s the ability to drop into this milieu,
and drop out of engineering for a while.

For Tom, a benefit of Carapace is getting to be around liberal arts majors. Also this academic language of “majors” highlights Shannon Turner’s point that most of the crowd is college educated.

Comments

Popular Posts