Table conversations


I believe that the seating arrangements at Manuel’s - where people share tables with folks they didn’t come with and may not have even planned to sit with - encourage friendships to form. Since moving away I’ve attended some other events similar to Carapace but they have all the seats in rows facing the stage. I have observed that that kind of seating does not encourage talking the same way sharing a table does. At the September Carapace I sat at a table with my mom (Denise) and Mike and then Larry England joined us. I was delighted because I hadn’t seen Larry in a while. With the noise in the room, it was a little difficult for Larry and I to actually talk, because we couldn’t hear each other well across the table. I am thinking about how, during the show, the storyteller has a microphone to make sure that he or she is heard. Before and after the show, conversations are happening, but being heard can be difficult for those speakers. Of course, using microphones for conversations would be ridiculous. The noise of many microphones would just be even louder and the many conversations would still drown each other out. These conversations help build community and create friendships at Carapace, but the speakers in these conversations do not receive all the benefits that storytellers receive during the show.

Comments

  1. Interesting. People who attend Carapace take some comfort seeing each other at the event, I think, whether or not they get a chance to converse. I've spied people at the event but not gotten a chance to talk with them. I felt OK, knowing they had shared the space, the experience.

    There's that big difference between seeing someone, whether onstage or seated at the tables, and hearing them. We see so many things and people at Carapace and in our everyday lives, always at an evaluative distance. Hearing a person closes that distance. It's like loud music from a passing car. You can't decline to hear (plug your ears? Awkward) as easily as you can decline to see, by averting your eyes.

    The interplay of seeing and hearing at Carapace intrigues me. It's in all public spaces, even where performance hasn't been arranged for.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts