Bodies and conversation

As an extension of the conversation between teller and audience while the storyteller is on stage, audience members sometimes approach storytellers later to comment on their stories. Eleanor talked about approaching Benjamin outside the context of Carapace.
I think this is the audience fallacy.
I mentioned a while ago that I’d gotten to know Benji
a little bit.
One of the first times I saw him outside Carapace,
after I had begun to know who he was,
was in downtown Decatur,
and he was
completely taken aback
that this old woman
accosted him on the sidewalk.
He didn’t know who I was,
why I thought I knew him.
It was really uncomfortable,
until I
literally took a step back –
physically gave him more space
and said,
Friend of Shannon Turner’s,
Carapace!
And then it was okay. But,
just for a minute –
I don’t know who you are!
I talked about Eleanor’s “audience fallacy” in another post, and I agree that that is part of what is going on here. What I find interesting about this anecdote is Eleanor’s comment about needing to physically step back in the moments when Benjamin wasn’t sure who she was. Friends often do stand physically closer to one another than strangers. The body and physical comfort are very much a part of the conversation between teller and audience. The stage, minimal as it is, gives the storyteller some physical space. The stories make audience members feel closer to the storyteller. But for the storyteller to invite an audience member to come more into their physical space requires a little more communication.

Comments

Popular Posts