Learning about the story on stage

The idea that I can get onstage
kind of have some relative
path to where I’m going to go,
and then discover during the telling,
something that I didn’t know. (B. Carr)
Part of the story develops on stage, that maybe couldn’t have developed anywhere else.

Cris said something similar. When he is preparing to tell a story, he likes to leave room for tangents that come to him while on stage:
So I think about it,
rehearsing it in my head
more so than
in front of a mirror,
because I do want to be
in the moment when I’m telling it
and not really
like I’m reciting a script.
I want to be able to,
if I do have the errant thought
in the event to be able to comment on it
or say it
or if I have a weird tangent to go down,
I want to be able to
explore those
in the moment.

David mentioned not planning out the whole story so the telling would be more natural:
if you only think of a few main details
and trust yourself to just tell the rest,
then you’re gonna be,
it’s going to feel a lot more natural.
And it’s going to not feel like it’s memorized.
It’s gonna feel like
you’re just in front of friends telling a story.

I think there is a relationship here. When we talk to friends, we sometimes discover new things.

This also seems to tie into the ephemeral and experiential nature of the event. A flexible story, a story that can grow and change and provide fresh revelations, can truly react to the time, place, and audience. I know, as a performer, that when I over rehearse, or get too attached to certain phrases, it is harder to respond to the moment. This can be a beautiful things for the storyteller, to find new pieces of the story in this way. It is likely also tied to the conversation between teller and audience. A scripted story is less of a conversation than a story that can respond to that night.

Benjamin described a specific time when the way he told the story was shaped by the evening:
in the story,
my middle school PE teacher,
we were all
being punished,
we had to be five minutes silent on the bleachers,
and I was grateful that we didn’t get to play
because I wasn’t good at basketball,
so I’m like
well at least I don’t have to play basketball
because I suck at it.
I’m never going to make a basket ever.
And so then my teacher gets up
in front of
do you remember this?
my teacher gets up in front of the entire class and says
okay everyone
you’re not just punished for five minutes,
you’re going to sit here
silently
until Benji Carr makes a basket!
And the entire class groaned,
but the entire room,
when I’m telling the story
groaned just as well, so I said,
that sound is the sound I heard that day in class!
And I never would have known
it never would have happened.

How perfect to have the audience actually hear the sound that he heard. It would have been an injustice to the story not to make that connection. He was able to more perfectly draw the audience into what it actually felt like to be him in that moment.

Comments

Popular Posts