Referring to your own earlier stories

Benjamin talked about the Moth storyteller Ed Gavagan referencing one of his earlier stories in a later story:
The thing is then,
he gets up and tells another story at the Moth,
and he does that thing that I myself would hate
and that’s why I try never to tell the same stories here
at all
which is where you have to reference one story
in order to be able to tell the other
And I’m like
oh God,
do you need like,
an index
to be able to follow what somebody’s saying?
But then to what degree is context,
to what degree are you telling new people versus old?

If you have a reputation and a history with the audience it changes how you talk to them. I’ve seen this in the last few months with Will’s stories about first his brother’s motorcycle accident and then his mother’s death. The two stories were connected, and when he told the story about his mother’s death he didn’t go into too many details about his brother’s accident because we had heard all about it already.

Comments

  1. Those are difficult moments. When the tellers say, "As many of you know, I'm ... " breaks the spell. I always recommend that tellers don't assume, take a sentence or two to fill in the uninformed about what went before. The people who have heard it won't resent you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts