Safe from danger of story

Molly describes the safety of being a listener:
I like,
surprising,
hearing guys talking about
going on adventures in Europe,
and it just totally screws up, you know,
and it’s funny.
I get to go on an adventure without having to
suffer all the consequences.
Or relationships that totally blow up. It’s –
how nice to
be intimately involved and not get hurt!
You know (laughing).
It’s vicarious.
But this is how we learn.
She feels like a part of the story, but she is safe from all the dangers of the story. She isn’t lost in a foreign country or in a relationship that is blowing up.

Molly feels the safety of not having to actually live through the experience being described, but also, not having to be the one to tell about it:
The ones that stand out sometimes is like –
oh damn, I really would not have told that.  
People admit going online for
something,
and it’s like – oh!
You shouldn’t have driven all the way down to south Georgia to meet that guy!
I would have known better than that!
But I’m not,
you made the mistake and I didn’t!
So I can laugh about it and not get hurt.

No, I’m sorry, I shouldn’t say it that way, but, yeah.

Comments

Popular Posts