Happy stories as therapy

Others have shared that sharing difficult or vulnerable stories could be therapeutic, as long as they don’t go too vulnerable. And listeners find it therapeutic to hear these stories - to hear that others have similar life struggles.

I thought it was so interesting that Tricia found sharing and hearing happier, lighter stories to be therapeutic as well. The first night she came to Carapace she ended up telling a story although she hadn’t planned to
All of a sudden I was halfway through the story and I went,
"Oh,
you’re laughing".
She suddenly made a connection with the audience.

Not having to tell a difficult story was one of the attractions for Tricia:
I think what I enjoyed the most
was being somewhere I didn't know anybody
and then hearing other people's stories,
that,
and them sharing a little bit.
I didn't feel like I was in therapy
because I had done one group share,
couldn't do it.
It was backwards
grieving
without grieving.
I didn't have to share anything I didn't want to share.

Hearing stories, all kinds of stories, can be healing:
For me I think
also healing in some weird way.
The way you are talking about it
that I was seeing other people--
share
being alive
...
and I see people  living
breathing
sharing.

Hearing people share any story can make you feel more alive.

There was a macro thing of just
entering back into the human existence
through storytelling.
It made me realize
I was not dead,
I was not done
because I felt done.

I was very disappointed in humanity

Comments

Popular Posts