Not wanting to hear "adult" stories

I interviewed a couple who attended Carapace twice and then decided it was not for them. One reason they gave was that they didn’t like the type of stories being told.

One reason, it’s
quite a ways from
where we are.
And for the amount of time that we spent there,
actually there,
and what we heard,
we just didn’t feel like it was
something that we- (June)

Also, I think we’re more interested in
what I would call
family friendly.
And I would not want to take
young people in there
to hear
some of the things that we heard. (Frank)

Frank mentioned not wanting young people to hear, but also said they prefer family friendly stories. He didn’t want to hear stories that would not be appropriate for young people.

June also got the impression that people were trying
To get a thrill out of
what they were,
you know,
seemed like they were kind of trying to shock each other.

I find this so interesting. My perception is that this may sometimes happen at Carapace, but not to the extent that there would be several shock-value stories in one night. Perhaps I am biased. I also suspect I am less easily shocked.

Comments

Popular Posts