Starting the show

Cris talked about having to get the attention of the audience at the beginning of the show:
I always still get
butterflies before performances,
just being in front of people, so I do
Start getting a little,
“Oh! We’re about to start!”
Just because I know
at some point
I do have to disrupt
everybody’s milling around and
talking, and
at some point I do have to pull focus
to myself. And
each month I’m always like
“what am I going to say first?” (laugh)
and I don’t know.
So I get a little nervous there
where I’m like
“I don’t know what I’m going to say first.
Let’s see what
words start tumbling out of my mouth.
Bodily,
I feel like initially I’m kinda being small,
and then like
now I’m going into performance mode.
I have to
take focus of the room,
bring up some energy.


I noticed that at Write Club, Nick didn’t have to get the audience’s attention himself. The house music, which had already been playing before the show, changed to a different song and got even louder (it was already loud). Even though I hadn’t been to Write Club before and didn’t know this meant the show was starting, it got my attention. When Nick took the stage, he went right in to explaining what was happening that evening.

Comments

Popular Posts